Logo for: Town of Wallingford

Recycling for Wallingford Residents


25 Pent Road


Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri:      8 am - 4 pm
Saturday:                                 7 am - 3 pm
Wednesday:                            CLOSED
Sunday:                                      CLOSED   


The Center is operated by CWPM, LLC under a contract with the Town. For information, call:

Resident Disposal (Gate House): 203-678-1877
CWPM, LLC: 860-422-5678

Town Public Works Office: 203-294-2105  

*Closed on New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.

In addition to drop-off by residents at the Recycling Center, curbside collection is also available from private haulers.

“What’s In - What’s Out” Poster from DEEP

Mandated Recycling Items

Corrugated Cardboard**

  • Double layer cardboard with corrugation between layers
  • Must be FLATTENED and no larger than 3’ by 5’ 

Glass or Metal Food & Beverage Containers (Rinsed Clean)

  • Clear, brown and green glass ONLY
  • NO BROKEN GLASS of any kind
  • Aluminum, steel and tin cans
  • Aluminum foil (clean) and aluminum containers (such as pie plates)

Newsprint, Magazines, Catalogs, Junk Mail, Office Paper & Boxboard**

  • Newspapers include all inserts delivered with paper
  • No plastic or foil coatings

Plastics #1 & #2 ONLY (Rinsed Clean)

  • Look for the number in the triangular logo located on the bottom of the container

** For curbside collection, please contact your hauler for specific sorting/bundling procedures.

>>>GO TO THE DEPARTMENT of ENERGY and ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION "What do I do With..." page to look up how to recycle other items: What Do I Do With (ct.gov) <<<

How to Recycle Other Mandated Items

Computers, Monitors, Printers, Electronics & TVs

  • Take to the Resident Disposal Center, 25 Pent Road

Lead - Acid Battery (Vehicle)

  • Return to the dealer when you buy a new one

Leaves & Brush

  • Use Town collection in spring (brush) and fall (leaves only) OR
  • Deliver to Compost Center, 157 John Street OR
  • Make arrangements with your landscaper OR
  • Compost at home

Rechargeable Nickel-Cadmium Batteries

Scrap Metals & Major Appliances (Including Microwaves)

  • Take to the Resident Disposal Center, 25 Pent Road (there is a charge for Freon-containing items) OR
  • Make arrangements with your hauler

Used Motor Oil Only

  • Take to the Resident Disposal Center, 25 Pent Road (NOT Available at this time) Please take to Hazwaste Central
  • Take to Hazwaste Central, 90 Sargent Drive, New Haven; open Saturdays (Mid-May through October), 9 am to noon. See their flier here.

Recycling Other Items


 > Bring appliances to our Resident Disposal Center, 25 Pent Road. There will be a fee for a/c units and refrigerators and freezers, due to the coolant.

Books, DVDs, CDs, and audiotapes in GOOD condition:

  • Wallingford Public Library, 200 North Main Street. Call 203-265-6754 for information on items accepted/not accepted.
  • For more information, go to www.discoverbooks.com

Compact Fluorescent (CFL) Bulbs:

    • Take used bulbs to Home Depot, Lowe's or Wal-Mart.

Computers & Electronics:

Fire Extinguisher Disposal:

  • Empty any remaining foam/fluid into a black plastic bag; dispose in trash
  • Remove top from extinguisher
  • Once top is removed:
    • Recycle any plastic containers or parts in with plastics
    • Recycle any metal containers or parts with metals

Florescent light bulbs:

 > Bring to Resident Disposal Center, 25 Pent Road.

Grass Clippings:

      • Not accepted at any Town facility
      • Mulch onto your lawn OR
      • Compost at home OR
      • Make arrangements with your landscaper

Household Hazardous Waste:

      • Take to HazWaste Central at Regional Water Authority, 90 Sargent Drive, New Haven - 203-401-2712. Open Saturdays, 9-12 noon, mid-May-October. See what they take here.


  • Take to Resident Disposal Center, 25 Pent Road (There may be a fee for disposal)

Metal Coat Hangers/Plastic Film:

      • Return to dry-cleaning stores

Phone Books:

Plastic Food Containers #3-7:

      • Take to Resident Disposal Center, 25 Pent Road

Plastic Film (e.g., Grocery Bags)

      • Shop Rite (also, check other local stores)
      • Learn more about how you can help: What is plastic film?

20 lb. Tanks (From Grills):

      • Go where refilled for exchange or disposal. Check Home Depot, Lowe's, Wal-Mart or Gas Works (Yalesville)


Local vendors that take thermostats (call first)


The Wallingford Recycling Program Does NOT Accept:

      • Antifreeze bottles
      • Auto glass
      • Ceramic plates or cups
      • Clay pots
      • Crystal
      • Drinking glasses
      • Gas Cans/Tanks
      • Leaded glass
      • Light bulbs
      • Mason jars
      • Mirrors
      • Motor oil bottles
      • Notebooks
      • Oil filters
      • Ovenware
      • Paint cans
      • Porcelain
      • Propane tanks
      • Pyrex
      • Smoke Detectors
      • Spray cans
      • Styrofoam
      • Syringes/needles
      • Tiles
      • Waxed Corrugated
      • Window Glass

Important! Please do NOT try to recycle improper or contaminated items.