Recycling for Wallingford Residents
Location25 Pent Road
Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri: 8 am - 4 pm
Saturday: 7 am - 3 pm
The Center is operated by HQ Dumpsters & Recycling under a contract with the Town. For info, call:
Resident Disposal (Gate House): 203-678-1877
HQ Dumpsters & Recycling: 860-422-5678
Town Program Planning Office: 203-294-2060
*Closed on New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.
In addition to drop-off by residents at the Recycling Center, curbside collection is also available from private haulers.
Mandated Recycling Items
- Double layer cardboard with corrugation between layers
- Must be FLATTENED and no larger than 3’ by 5’
Glass or Metal Food & Beverage Containers (Rinsed Clean)
- Clear, brown and green glass ONLY
- NO BROKEN GLASS of any kind
- Aluminum, steel and tin cans
- Aluminum foil (clean) and aluminum containers (such as pie plates)
Newsprint, Magazines, Catalogs, Junk Mail, Office Paper & Boxboard**
- Newspapers include all inserts delivered with paper
- No plastic or foil coatings
Plastics #1 & #2 ONLY (Rinsed Clean)
- Look for the number in the triangular logo located on the bottom of the container
** For curbside collection, please contact your hauler for specific sorting/bundling procedures.
>>>GO TO THE DEPARTMENT of ENERGY and ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION "What do I do With..." page to look up how to recycle other items: What Do I Do With (ct.gov) <<<
How to Recycle Other Mandated Items
Computers, Monitors, Printers, Electronics & TVs
- Take to the Resident Disposal Center, 25 Pent Road
Lead - Acid Battery (Vehicle)
- Return to the dealer when you buy a new one
Leaves & Brush
- Use Town collection in spring (brush) and fall (leaves only) OR
- Deliver to Compost Center, 157 John Street OR
- Make arrangements with your landscaper OR
- Compost at home
Rechargeable Nickel-Cadmium Batteries
- Take to local retailers—see Call2Recycle.org for specific stores.
Scrap Metals & Major Appliances (Including Microwaves)
- Take to the Resident Disposal Center, 25 Pent Road (there is a charge for Freon-containing items) OR
- Make arrangements with your hauler
Used Motor Oil Only
- Take to the Resident Disposal Center, 25 Pent Road (NOT Available at this time) Please take to Hazwaste Central
- Take to Hazwaste Central, 90 Sargent Drive, New Haven; open Saturdays (Mid-May through October), 9 am to noon. See their flier here.
Recycling Other Items
> Bring appliances to our Resident Disposal Center, 25 Pent Road. There will be a fee for a/c units and refrigerators and freezers, due to the coolant.
Books, DVDs, CDs, and audiotapes in GOOD condition:
- Wallingford Public Library, 200 North Main Street. Call 203-265-6754 for information on items accepted/not accepted.
- For more information, go to www.discoverbooks.com
Compact Fluorescent (CFL) Bulbs:
- Take used bulbs to Home Depot, Lowe's or Wal-Mart.
Computers & Electronics:
- Take to the Resident Disposal Center, 25 Pent Road - Residents only
- Best Buy stores, www.bestbuy.com/green
- Contact private companies (Go to the Dept. of Energy & Environmental Protection (DEEP)'s website for information on e-waste or call 860-424-3365.
- Goodwill, 1169 No. Colony Road, Wallingford (Reconnect Partnership )
Fire Extinguisher Disposal:
- Empty any remaining foam/fluid into a black plastic bag; dispose in trash
- Remove top from extinguisher
- Once top is removed:
- Recycle any plastic containers or parts in with plastics
- Recycle any metal containers or parts with metals
Florescent light bulbs:
> Bring to Resident Disposal Center, 25 Pent Road.
- Not accepted at any Town facility
- Mulch onto your lawn OR
- Compost at home OR
- Make arrangements with your landscaper
Household Hazardous Waste:
- Take to HazWaste Central at Regional Water Authority, 90 Sargent Drive, New Haven - 203-401-2712. Open Saturdays, 9-12 noon, mid-May-October. See what they take here.
- Take to Resident Disposal Center, 25 Pent Road (There may be a fee for disposal)
Metal Coat Hangers/Plastic Film:
- Return to dry-cleaning stores
- Take to Resident Disposal Center, 25 Pent Road
- To decline delivery of Yellow Pages, go to the national clearinghouse for Yellow Pages Opt-Out
Plastic Food Containers #3-7:
- Take to Resident Disposal Center, 25 Pent Road
Plastic Film (e.g., Grocery Bags)
- Shop Rite (also, check other local stores)
- Learn more about how you can help: What is plastic film?
20 lb. Tanks (From Grills):
- Go where refilled for exchange or disposal. Check Home Depot, Lowe's, Wal-Mart or Gas Works (Yalesville)
- Contact used tire dealers
- Go to DEEP's website for information about tire recycling and disposal or call 860-424-3365
The Wallingford Recycling Program Does NOT Accept:
- Antifreeze bottles
- Auto glass
- Ceramic plates or cups
- Clay pots
- Drinking glasses
- Gas Cans/Tanks
- Leaded glass
- Light bulbs
- Mason jars
- Motor oil bottles
- Oil filters
- Paint cans
- Propane tanks
- Smoke Detectors
- Spray cans
- Waxed Corrugated
- Window Glass
Important! Please do NOT try to recycle improper or contaminated items.