Sewer Division - Inflow & Infiltration Removal Program
Inflow and Infiltration (I & I) are essentially clean water that enters into the sanitary sewer. This clean water takes up capacity in the sewer system, requires more cost to pump and treat, and can result in public health issues and property damage. I & I can come from public property sources such as leaky sewer mains in the street and from private property sources such as sump pump discharge piping connected to sewer service lines.
- Learn more about Wallingford’s private property I & I Program
- Town Ordinance No. 577 - Adopted to address excessive I & I in the sanitary sewer system.
- Town Ordinance No. 608 - Authorizes a Reimbursement Program to help property owners with the cost for removing private I & I.
- More information about the Sewer Regulation and I & I
- More information about Planning and Zoning Regulation as it pertains to I & I (Section 6.30)
- To help identify inflow sources into the sanitary sewer system, the Sewer Division has developed an Inflow Questionnaire for property owners to fill out: Download the Inflow Questionnaire
- Photos: Consequences of I & I
Property Owner Reimbursement
The Sewer Division has developed a Policy for reimbursement of inflow and infiltration removal costs to assist property owners.